Saturday, February 20, 2010

Beautiful Morning

The large flakes of snow are coming at a fairly rapid pace this morning. My mom always used to say that when the flakes got larger, the snow was about done. I am not so sure anymore...maybe it was just her way of making me watch the snow more closely.

I am planning my vegetable garden today. I am thinking carrots, kale, lettuce, zucchini, watermelon (for Rex), acorn squash, cucumbers, pumpkins, tomatoes (a couple of varieties), green beans, basil, flat leaf parsley, red peppers, and maybe a pea variety-oh and chives. My ex in-laws have a nice rototiller and have offered to turn up my plots-one of which is an old bed and has been used for compost. My plan is to lay down flour bags (the 50 lb double layered paper ones from the bakery where I work)that have been cut open. I will mulch over the top of all and cut through it where I want to plant. This way I can create nice walking paths between the two sides of the bed. The cukes, squash, zucchini, melons, and pumpkins will be planted in mounds of straw. Only one of each plant. The tomatoes are being hung in 5 gallon buckets from an old clothesline t-bar. (MNmom gave me this idea!)

I hope to be able to paste many pictures of this endeavor and that this all goes as planned-if not, well I will learn some for next year!

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

Good plans! I'm not doing cukes or bell peppers again, a lot of work for not much yield. But adding potatoes! Plum tomatoes gave us more crop than regulars.
And I'm doing my bucket idea too! That way there's more yard room for beets and onions.
This year we have deer, so have to get creative.

Little Sister said...

BEETS, yes! I cannot forget beets and onions would be nice. Thanks for the info on peppers and cukes-good to know.