Friday, January 9, 2009

As time goes by...


My son turns 7 today. We made him birthday pancakes for breakfast and he just loved it!
Tonight we will take him to Famous Dave's for ribs. His "brothers" helped him pick the spot.
My son was born prematurely-only 25 weeks of oven time. He arrived at 4:00pm weighing in at 1lb,11oz. He stayed in the NICU for 101 days, had 10 blood transfusions and countless tube changes. He quit beathing and his heart stopped 2 times. The NICU team we had was unbelievable. Today he is a strong, smart 7 year old. AMAZING!
I do not know how I got through it all. I do know that the support and love from friends and family carried me most days and on the bad days, the days when the little guy struggled the hardest-I know that my mom and dad were with us, cradling me and my son in their angel arms telling me that everything will be okay.
SO, here is to my son, the survivor.

8 comments:

Mnmom said...

Survivor with a capital S!!
Tell the little guy we love him.

Amy said...

Amazing and wonderful...Happy Birthday to Rex.

Scott J. said...

Huzzah! Happy B-day!

janban said...

A miracle boy! What a blessing!!

michaelg said...

I remember him when he was this big! (Holding my hands about 10 inches apart.)

Tell Rex Happy Birthday from me. And tell the boy he needs to talk to me on the phone now and then when I call.

themom said...

Happy Birthday to the 7 yo. Preemies inherently turn out to be special in so many ways.

Madame Leiderhosen said...

Happy birthday!
What a beautiful kid.

Cheesecake Maven said...

And I remember many of those trials and tribulations! And looking so forward to the big 2 lb. mark! Now he's a great big wonderful boy of 7, I cannot believe how fast that all flew by! HAPPY BIRTHDAY REX! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!