Monday, November 24, 2008

Jello Head


I drew the short straw yesterday and had to do the grocery shopping. I am usually very up for going to the store, should have known better. It went something like this:

I am in charge of the Green Bean Casserole (GBC) for Thanksgiving. I am a talented gourmet cook but my nieces and nephews claim that my GBC is the best (probably due to the fact that I double the amount of fried onions). Anyway, I was shopping for the ingredients for the the GBC and could not find the fried onions. Mind you, I was in the canned vegetable section and did grab two jars of Aunt Nellies pickled WHOLE beets-hands down the best pickled beet in a jar-just make sure you get WHOLE not sliced, they lose something the dissection-back to the story, I could NOT find the fried onions. I managed to find a helpful shelf stocker and he promptly took back to the canned vegetable isle and pointed to the fried onions-which were RIGHT NEXT to Aunt Nellie's pickled beets. I felt so stupid-but it gets better...
being a Jenkins and all I had to offer my "two cents worth" and told the stocker guy and another employee who came around the corner that they should really have an end cap with the all three GBC ingredients together since it is Thanksgiving. The two of them did an eye roll and promptly took me around the corner and said, "like this?"
"Oh, never mind," (Roseanna Roseanna Danna style) is all I said - and by the way I had grabbed two cans of green beans from this very end cap just moments before I could not find the fried onions...

6 comments:

Mnmom said...

Down in glorious Jenkins style! Congratualtions!! Opinionated, then wrong, what could be better? I hear it's best to stir extra fried onions into the casserole as well as the topping.

Little Sister said...

Oh, ya you betcha-gotta have those onions IN the casserole.

michaelg said...

I heart this story.
This is the dish that we were elected to make for Thanksgiving as well. I bought two cans of the fried onions. Mmmmmmm.

suzieQ said...

Hi Ruthie!
The GBC is not a staple in the Rosel home, strangely enough. I'm more of a stuffing nazi myself. Very narrow parameters on what constitutes excellent stuffing. Please do not taint it with raisins and apples. Just read your blog and you're much further ahead in the game than I. I'll have to ask BK and MG for assistance.

themom said...

Having grown up on GBC, I realized...I have never made it for my (grown) kids!! I make a brocolli casserole they love, but may change this year and let them see how awesome it is.

Cheesecake Maven said...

I've been known to just sit and eat the entire can of those wonderful fried onions, every last one of them. And let it be known, Lil Sistas GBC is the BEST one I've ever had!!! This is comfort food at its best!!