Monday, June 15, 2009

Four Agreements

I believe in the wisdom of The Four Agreements:

Don't take it personally
Be impeccable with your word
Always do your best
Don't make assumptions

I am dealing with a very difficult situation with my SO's family and trying hard to live by these agreements. I was told that I said something to upset his mother, but was not told what it was that I said (hard to "clean it up" when you are not sure what it is). This all took place DURING a family wedding reception in a town where I knew NOBODY. I was embarrassed and humiliated and did not even get a chance to defend myself. The entire extended family-sans one funny uncle-treated me like I was an intruder. On top of it all my SO was asked if he wanted to lose all his family for marrying me! And they don't even know me.

I guess it is their crazy-not mine and I will just have to keep my head high and keep on loving SO with all my heart. I feel terrible for him. His heart aches.

3 comments:

Mnmom said...

Lake Crazy.
This is such a sad situation for both of you. And for THEM but they don't see it. To invite and concoct that much poison is so hurtful, both to the recipient AND the perpetrator. Know that you are loved for who you are by lots of folks and that some people just have an axe to grind with the entire world.

Kireliols said...

feh- in-laws. I feel your pain.

Scott J. said...

Y'know what? If they can't see your inherent value and your personal goodness, tell 'em to FOAD. Life's too short to deal with idiots and ignorant, conceited mofo's. They should be on their knees thanking Odin that SO found a person as wonderful as you, Ruthie.